BLM Protests in Sacramento

Downtown+Sacramento

Briana Shelvin/Foothill Forum

Downtown Sacramento

Briana Shelvin, Staff Writer

Protests in Sacramento (Briana Shelvin)

Black Lives Matter  is a U.S.-based movement that fights for  justice and an end to discrimination and police brutality.

After the murder of Breonna Taylor, an unarmed black woman who was shot in Louisville, Kentucky, in March by police officers in her home, people on social media have been outraged and want justice for her. 

This has led protests in Sacramento to increase, especially around downtown Sacramento. On Sept. 25, protesters marched the streets, going by different government buildings.

Social media has helped students’ voices be heard by spreading awareness with posts about the BLM Movement on Instagram, Twitter and even platforms like TikTok. Students at Foothill High have a definite point of view when it comes to the BLM movement in the Sacramento region.

“I know it’s a movement for equality for black people,” freshman Jayla Quintos said. “(People of color) or simply anyone could join that is against people who are small-minded and stubborn who oppose the fact that this movement is relevant.” 

At protests in Sacramento, signs were  held up that said “Justice For Breonna” or “Hands up means don’t shoot!” and many more. 

Nearly all BLM protests are peaceful, despite what President Donald Trump says. “They are determined to tear down every statue symbol and memory of our national heritage,” Pres. Trump said at a South Dakota speech on the Fourth of July.

Although riots and looting did in fact happen in downtown Sacramento, the protests were largely peaceful.

A couple of hashtags have been trending on social media platforms including #DefundThePolice, #StephonClark, #blackexcellence, #georgefloyd and hundreds more. These hashtags bring awareness to social media users, and using these hashtags helps people know what is happening in the black community.

“Anytime I see something involving this movement I post it,” says sophomore Alyssa Correia. “I have also signed many petitions and even put some in my Instagram bio. This movement is something I will talk about with anyone who is not educated on the topic.”  

While at a protest for Stephon Clark, who was shot six times by Sacramento police officers, 84 Protesters were arrested for marching the streets of East Sacramento, including a local pastor and a group of college students. 

Nobody should ever be judged by something they cannot change such as race, said Correia. 

“I think It’s a great slogan and it makes sense because people should continue protesting and shouldn’t stop until justice is served,” senior Canda Carter Said. “So there will not be peace in the country until that is done because it has to be done.” 

“All police officers who have committed crimes, such as the shooting of Breonna Taylor, should be arrested,” Carter said.

Many activists in the Sacramento area have also been involved in the protests, including Rashid Sidque. “I help organize with #blacklivesmatter for police Reform in Sacramento.” 

Sidque is also a co-founder of a group called Law Enforcement Accountability Directive (LEAD). And he is also the head director of a civil rights organization that responds to ongoing violence against black people across the country.

“We started meeting with city counsel, City Manager and Mayor to change how the police Department interacts with the Black community and others. We made body cameras mandatory for all Sac. PD officers. Made it mandatory for all police involved shooting videos to be made public within 30 days,” Sidque Said.

He has also been to the Breonna Taylor protests that happened in Sacramento and many others. “Breonna Taylor death was a travesty! The police used a “No Knock Warrant” at midnight and had bad information of their target, who was already in jail,” Sidque Said.