Sit Down with Singh: Mr. Yeroshek

The Series Continues

Gurdeep Singh, Editor

Our series continues as we move to our next individual in our quest to dive deeper into an understanding of students’ and teachers’ perspectives toward online learning. This will not only draw us closer together, but will also give us a new level of appreciation for teachers and students that go through difficulties with online learning.

Our next interviewee that will be joining us is David Yeroshek, a physics teacher at Foothill High. He has a very straightforward attitude. Mr. Yeroshek doesn’t like anything out of ordinary; he is a complex man with a simple duty. He takes very seriously his task; he is very organized and precise with his lessons, and he is very sophisticated with everything he does and says. He is very well-known amongst his students as a chill and low-key person.

The most outgoing thing about Mr. Yeroshek is the music he plays before class starts. It is very relaxing and soothing to hear. The type of music Yeroshek plays isn’t quite popular in this generation, but the music he listens to is jazz and piano solos. He gives off a jazzy vibe, and the vibe just gives the whole class a relaxing chill. Mr. Yeroshek, like everyone, has been teaching via distance learning. He has encountered many issues and difficulties with online school, and he is willing to share those issues with us, fortunately. Of all the issues concerning online learning, one stands out to him the most.

“Technology issues: what platforms to use, how to structure class, pacing, grading, zoom, attendance, and many many more,” Yeroshek says. 

Like any other teacher, Yeroshek is worried about reopening schools, especially in California where the pandemic is still a large issue. 

“Death,” Yeroshek says. “I can’t imagine any scenario where teaching in person would be as safe as online during a surging pandemic.”

The outcomes of learning through distance learning, and the differences in student engagement between in-class and distance learning is surprising from Yeroshek’s perspective.

“Same and different,” he says. “Students just have different ways of not engaging. Don’t think it’s any worse or better, just different.”

Another issue that he has while teaching with distance learning is the time given to get used to all of the technology part of distance learning.

“ Actually the hands-on tech, zoom, email, e-text are working pretty well,” Yeroshek says. “The biggest challenge has been finding the time to learn the new technologies.”

One thing Yeroshek has to deal with is making the decision to assign a regular amount of homework or not.

“Can’t really compare the two since they are different formats,” Yeroshek says. “Time-wise, I think there is a lot less busywork.”

Another issue that Yeroshek faces during this online learning is the stress and chaos of having to change his routine because of the online learning during the pandemic. 

“Yes indeed. I now get up at 7am instead of 5:45am. No morning commute,” he says, “about the same amount of coffee, two cups, but no sipping from a commuter cup.” 

While some teachers like to go to school and conduct zoom classes from their physical classrooms, Yeroshek responded differently when asked if he’s been teaching from campus.

“Heck no,” he says. “Why would I want to teach from a cold, smelly, antiquated, empty room with crappy bathrooms and no kitchen.”