Teaching science the Macy way

Mr. Macy posing for a photo in his classroom

Mashallah Maghsoudi, Staff Writer

Mr. Macy is the new science teacher at Foothill High. He is energetic, kind, and excellent. He is always helping all his students in class. The Foothill Forum recently caught up with Mr. Macy to see how his year went, and to gain insight on his teaching practices.

Foothill Forum: Why did you decide to become a teacher?

Macy: I don’t usually tell this story, but here goes.  Most people don’t know that I actually went to college to become an agricultural businessman. True story! But when studying under the big campus oak tree, I heard a noise and looked up. A squirrel had thrown an acorn at me(!!), and it hit my right in the head! I blacked out for a second, and when I woke up the squirrel had a very frank conversation with me. He called himself “father future” but said his friends called him “squeakers.” Anyway, he told me my true destiny. And that was: to teach.  So, I made my way to the registration office, signed up for some new classes the next quarter, and that was that!

Foothill Forum: Is this your first teaching job or have you taught elsewhere prior?

Macy: I actually taught in Southern California for the last 10 years. I will probably stay here until the FBI makes me move again.

Foothill Forum: What has this year been like for you in a new school district during Covid-19?

Macy: An absolute dream, literally. Since I work about 5 feet from my bed, I am never truly sure if I am awake or not.

Foothill Forum: What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses professionally in zoom?

Macy: Well, my biggest strength as a teacher has always been my voice. I can easily be heard beyond the door to my classroom in a regular in-person setting. So something a lot of people don’t know is that when they are hearing my voice, it’s not actually over zoom… it’s just them hearing me yelling throughout the neighborhood. But, as they say, sometimes your greatest strength is also your weakness…In this case, it’s because my neighbors are always complaining.  Not good when you are trying to get the FBI to leave you alone for more than five years.

Foothill Forum: What are the biggest differences between this year and last?

Macy: Well, this year I am in Sacramento… Last year I was in Corona (NOT THE VIRUS!). This year I am teaching science, last year I was teaching agriculture. And finally, this year someone did an interview with me. Last year, nobody did…. Can you believe it?!?!?